Subject: [Leica] M7 Problem: digilux
From: Photovilla@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 19:03:39 EDT

<<<

I had assumed that the Leica Digilux would be able to focus as closely as

my Nikon 990 but that is not the case.  For close-ups the Nikon is much

better.  I am still amazed by how close that camera can get - less than an

inch in Macro mode.  The Digilux in Macro mode will only go to about 12

inches.  That might work for x-rays, but I was using the Nikon for extreme

macro shots of coins and textile threads.

If your main use of the camera is going to be Macro photos, I would

definitely go with the Nikon 995 or maybe 5000 (that's the newest version,

but it's a different style and I'm not sure if the close-up features are

the same).  It should be cheaper than the Leica, too.

Tina>>>

Alll true and I just received a memo today that the Coolpix is going to drop
in price as well...

It probably will end up New, USA around $899 or so shortly...so it will be
tough competition with the Digilux I.

cheers,
Rich
www.photovillage.com

PS- the Digilux I seems to do pretty well in manual focus though...which is
not really  possible with the CP5k despite listing it as a feature.