Subject: RE: [Leica] M7 Photo
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 18:07:49 -0400

At 05:52 PM 6/30/02 -0400, you wrote:
>It's a terrific photo - but please someone explain this to me...you point
>the camera at the scene - the meter is designed to read mostly the center
>1/3rd of the image - in fact the meter is described as being essentially a
>large spot meter....so Tina point the camera, the center third of the image
>is bright light outdoors...and yet the resulting exposure contains not a
>whit of detail in the grossly overexposed center third while the surrounding
>two thirds, which are virtually in the dark, are properly exposed...as one
>would want this image exposed. I have to admit that I don't understand how
>it was possible to obtain this exposure without making manual adjustments.
>
>B. D.
>
>And, once again, I'm not disputing the fact that it's a gorgeous shot,
>ideally exposed.;-)

But, B.D., I pointed the camera at the floor to get a neutral gray.  With
the M7, I leave the aperture where I want it, point the camera at something
about photo-gray, depress the shutter halfway to lock the exposure and then
reframe and focus the photo.  It takes less time to do than to tell.  It is
really easier and faster than the M6.  Not as fast as an SLR with automatic
focus and exposure, but then the SLR wouldn't have a Noctilux
attached  ;-)  and it would be a lot noisier than the M7 ;-)

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com

images available from: