Subject: Re: [Leica] Brasil wins World Soccer Cup
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 23:20:25 -0700

on 6/30/02 11:03 PM, S Dimitrov at sld@earthlink.net thoughtfully wrote:

> I, for one, had hoped for Argentina to win.
> Once the U.S. chose sides with its intelligence, it was all over for
> poor Argentina.
> Slobodan Dimitrov

It was all over for Argentina once the UK's nuclear submarine arrived on
scene and pushed the Argentine fleet over the horizon. They couldn't
prosecute an attack against it, it could sink vessels at will, and they
couldn't afford to lose 5,000 more people than they already did.

Without close support the effort was doomed. A lesson many navies took to
heart, hence the rise in small coastal diesel submarines  in the littoral
waters of the world, and the subsequent challenge to surface fleets. The
Persian Gulf and the Indian Ocean are VERY tricky places to operate.

AB

Replies: Reply from S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Brasil wins World Soccer Cup)