Subject: Re: [Leica] That McNally Book!
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 13:16:06 -0500

tedgrant@shaw.ca (Ted Grant)6/30/023:04 PM

> I finally got to see the book "Faces of Ground Zero." What a
> piece
> of...oops...forgot we're in gentile company. It is by far the
> worst example of portraiture I've come across in a long, long
> time.

The original 6+ foot tall polaroids hung in Union Station in
Chicago. I had the opportunity to view the exhibit. And indeed,
the photos looked horrible. No blacks. Blasé expressions. Muddy
white backgrounds. Nothing in the frame looked sharp. I've used a
fair share of 8x10 Polaroid and always felt blown away by the
detail and tonality. I've also seen a good many 20x24 Polaroids,
equally impressive. McNally's prints looked absolutely horrible
by any professional or aesthetic standards.

I can imagine that the focus would be difficult using lenses and
veiw cameras to cover 6 feet. But if you can't get a handle on
the technical aspects - what's the point of using the format?

George