Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: [HUG] Fw: Scientists Get Portrait of the 'First Photograph'
From: clifford wright <skidoophoto@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 12:44:24 -0700 (PDT)

Actually, there is some what of a debate about these
two "first photographs".
 The officials at the University of Texas where the
rooftop photo resides (about a 20 minute bike ride
from my house ( lucky me )) claim that the heliograph
in French possession is not a true photograph since it
was not taken with a camera and the rooftop photo is
since it was taken with a camera.
http://www.npr.org/programs/watc/features/2002/mar/photograph/
Clif Wright

- --- Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com> wrote:
> Ted Bayer wrote:
> >
> > Hi Mark:
> >
> > The picture you refer to is the one this article
> is about.
> >
> > I'm not sure of the problem you had in replying to
> this posting, but
> > when I sent it, I addressed it to all three lists:
>  HUG, LUG, MUG.
> >
> > Matthew has answered your question regarding the
> MUG.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ted
>

> I'm running Netscape and when i hit the send button
> which is the
> automatic thing to do it sends to the top person on
> a list.
> The problem is you have to notice the list to hit
> the special send all button.
> And you don't expect there to be a list when you are
> on a list.
> Is cross posting considered to be not such a great
> thing? I really don't
> know but that would be my hunch.
>

> On the picture itself.
>
> I hear a photograph in an open field described. And
> the one I know of
> and describe is in a town or maybe in a city. It's
> roof tops. No open field.
> ANd it was done by Niépce of course.
> I suspect it's my error. Or the error of my college
> textbook. The know
> more now. Carbon dating; it's a huge business now!
>

> Mark Rabiner
> Portland, Oregon USA
> http://www.markrabiner.com
> --

=====
"The eye is for looking, not for thinking." Marc Riboud