Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: FOM 2/year 2
From: clifford wright <skidoophoto@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 12:39:13 -0700 (PDT)

 I have to put my two cents down on the barrel here.
        I like the suggestion by Allan for exclusive
LUG member submissions but inclusion of other
equipment.
 I feel co-opting the Family of Man concept and only
allowing Leica submissions is, at best short sighted.
 I realize the parameters of the present project are
finite (thus the need for some boundaries) however
believe that the concept here goes far beyond our
infatuation with a tool.
 If  an exhibition and book are planned are we
considering the potential limited impact the project
might have for a wider audience? And the criticism
that a pack of "elitist snobs" co-opted an idea that
goes beyond even the broad concept of photography.
 This being said, I would like to thank Alaister and
all others involved for their hard work at such an
ambitious endeavor.
Clif Wright
P.S. I occasionally use a P & S and don't consider
myself too terribly slobbish.

- --- Allan Wafkowski <allan@sohogurus.net> wrote:
> I too have an uneasiness about the FOM2 only
> accepting Leica taken
> photos. There is no way to enforce the demand. Any
> photo taken with any
> camera and lens can be submitted. Are the entries
> going to be
> authenticated by bokeh? Truth is, any slob with a
> point-and-shoot can
> enter FOM2. The demand leads already weak human
> nature down the path of
> dishonesty.
>
> Steve, I love your photos, but your logic for
> excluding non-Leica
> cameras is weak. Leica is supporting FOM 2, but not
> financially? What
> does that mean: We use $2000+ Leica cameras and
> $1200 Leica lenses and
> Solms gives out a self-satisfied grin? LUG
> membership is required to
> enter FOM2. Good. There is no reason to tamper with
> that requirement, so
> we need not fear the "tens-of-thousands" of unwanted
> entries.
>
> A FOM2 that required LUG membership, but allowed any
> camera to be used
> and what do you get: A bunch of people who love and
> use Leicas, but who
> also like to take a shot with their Olympus XA-2 or
> whatever camera they
> have at the moment, and if the shot comes out good,
> maybe send it to
> FOM2.
>
> Allan

> To unsubscribe, see

=====
"The eye is for looking, not for thinking." Marc Riboud