Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: FOM 2/year 2
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 14:03:36 -0500

Allan Wafkowski writes:

> I too have an uneasiness about the FOM2 only accepting Leica taken
> photos. There is no way to enforce the demand.

That is true, but there is the old fashioned honor system--probably out of
date.

> Any photo taken with any
> camera and lens can be submitted. Are the entries going to be
> authenticated by bokeh? Truth is, any slob with a point-and-shoot can
> enter FOM2. The demand leads already weak human nature down the path of
> dishonesty.
>
> Steve, I love your photos, but your logic for excluding non-Leica
> cameras is weak.

I did not make up the rules and I am only passing on what I remember to be
the rules.

> Leica is supporting FOM 2, but not financially?

Sorry, conjecture on my part--I see that the FOM 2 url is on the Leica
website, so I assume they recognize the FOM 2, that is the only support I
know about.

> What
> does that mean: We use $2000+ Leica cameras and $1200 Leica lenses and
> Solms gives out a self-satisfied grin? LUG membership is required to
> enter FOM2. Good. There is no reason to tamper with that requirement, so
> we need not fear the "tens-of-thousands" of unwanted entries.

Why is life so complicated?

> A FOM2 that required LUG membership, but allowed any camera to be used
> and what do you get: A bunch of people who love and use Leicas, but who
> also like to take a shot with their Olympus XA-2 or whatever camera they
> have at the moment, and if the shot comes out good, maybe send it to
> FOM2.

Like I said, the old fashioned honor system is probably out of date.

> Allan

sl