Subject: Re: [Leica] airport security kinda long. ;-)
From: "Roland Smith" <roland@dnai.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 21:58:14 -0700

A local example here in California.   A trip from Oakland to Pasadena
requires a flight from Oakland airport to Burbank airport and a motor trip
to Pasadena of ten miles on a fast moving freeway.

The air travel time is now as follows:
  Home to Oakland airport            20 min
  Baggage check in                        30 min
  Time at airport security                90 min
  Waiting                                       30 min
  Flight time                                   60 min
  Baggage pick up and car rental    45 min
  Drive to Pasadena                       15 min
  Various delays                             30 min

   Total time                                5 hr 20 min

Drive from home to Pasadena, 375 miles doorstep to doorstep, 5 hr 15 min.

When you consider the reduced cost and stress, it is preferable to drive.
We save on two tickets and the car rental.   In addition, we have the
convenience of stopping for an ice cream cone whenever we want.  Also, no
film scanner and limit on our luggage.

This is a frequent travel for us due to family matters.  In the past years
we flew.  Now we drive and Southwest Airlines has one less customer.  Should
that concern them?  Have they lost others?

Roland Smith
Oakland, California