Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Lead film bags [was: airport security kinda long. ;-)]
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 10:27:55 -0600

> My experience w/lead film bags has been similar to yours.  In many years
> of dealing w/security @ airports & gov't buildings, I can only think of 2
> occasions where my lead bag has caught the attention of the X-ray machine
> operator.  On both occasions, all suspicions were allayed by a quick
> glance inside the lead bag (as described in #3 of your post).

Only a couple of months or so after Sept 11 I travelled through Ottawa
Airport - supposedly top level security in place (all those politicos, and
you don't want to screw up security in front of the Minister of
Transportation...).

My film was packed in lead bags, goes though the scanner, big black blob.
"Could you open this bag for me please sir?" - looks inside, sees
"Filmguard" bag - says "Oh it's film - okay sir" and off I go. Doesn't even
look inside... duh

tim