Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: airport security kinda long. ;-)
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 09:01:09 -0600

> Now I won't even consider it. The useless security checks are
> intrusive and annoying, and continued testing show that they are not
> effective. The inconveniences are not worth it for the ILLUSION of
> increased safety.

The only air travel security checks I ever came across that worked were
Heathrow to Belfast and return, at the height of the Troubles. (similar to
flying El Al I would think).

These flights went from their own, separate part of the terminal at
Heathrow.

Every item of baggage was opened and gone through - checked and hand
baggage. Every bag was also x-rayed. You went through metal detectors and
were also closely patted down from head to toe. And of course there were
explosive sniffing dogs. This wasn't carried out by your normal, minimum
wage "rent-a-cops" either.

You went through several document and identity checks, which included one by
Special Branch officers. You were watched closely at many points along the
way.

You were escorted out to the plane by police carrying machine guns. Armed
plain clothes police also travelled on many flights. And so it went.

In all that time, I believe there was never an incident involving such a
flight, which were, of course, prime and obvious targets.

But that was the level of security and inconvenience it took to make the
flights safe during that time. Today, with people willing to commit suicide,
it would take even more.