Subject: Re: [Leica] Leicas on Tripods
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 13:19:34 -0700

Frank Filippone wrote:

> Do you use a tripod when shooting landscapes?
>
> I am thinking that the quality ot films and optics is such that I am
> considering getting rid of the LF or MF cameras and going Leica M only.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Frank Filippone
> red735i@earthlink.net
>
> --

My thought is to drag both systems out to a scene and shoot it. Tripods
for both. Have 16x20's made or whatever the largest size you make for
special occasions. A new big wall. Have them made from both formats the
exact same shot. There is the issue of are you going to print the
Hasselblad shot square or not if you don't you get more of a direct
comparison between the two formats. I tend to print my squares square
and sometimes that's why I reach for my Hasselblad. It's not the larger
size sometimes it's the shape. The square.

But the extra negative size you've got to say something for and I may
shock everyone on the list by saying there are plenty of times out with
my Leica when i wish I had the Hasselblad to really get a million dollar
shot and get it good; for more enlarging power and more richness in
smaller sizes.
I'm not sure a Hasselblad shot looks sharper at 11x14 than a Leica shot.

A big reason I'd never sell my Hasselblads is the Polaroid back.
I'll often use the Hasselblad to shoot the Polaroid then use my Leicas
to do the shooting.

Other times after making the Polaroid its too easy to just switch backs
and do the shot.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com