Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: airport security kinda long. ;-)
From: "Roland Smith" <roland@dnai.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 21:41:45 -0700

The IRS has changed very significantly since around the middle 1980s.   Up
until 1999, I had my own CPA firm with a significant tax practice with
representation of taxpayers who owed back taxes.

The Taxpayers Bill of Rights was enacted and the IRS top executives changed
their methods.   They were faced with additional legislation if they did not
do so.

All during this period of time and even now, I have been serving on the
California CPA committee on taxation and it's IRS Liaison Committee.

We have a running dialog with the IRS executives and the change in their
attitude has been readily observable.  Unfortunately, I think the pendulum
is swinging away from the taxpayer as the government is searching for
revenue.

We can cause change.  I think we will eventually change the security
attitude at the Oakland Airport.  It will take pressure from the passengers,
the airlines and local government.

If the passengers and the airlines push for change, I can support the cause
as an elected officer of the City of Oakland.

Roland Smith
Oakland, California