Subject: Re: [Leica] developing my own film
From: "Rei Shinozuka" <shino@panix.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 11:07:10 -0400 (EDT)

my recommendation has always been the late fred
picker's _zone  vi workshop_ which i have found to
my reret is  just out of print.

they seem relatively simple to get used, however:

http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/oopbooks/oopResultsTitle.asp?userid=1BOHHCV74N&mscssid=2CLL5LXAVTQG9PJ29DELWJ9CEL7J4BF4&author=Fred+Picker&title=Zone+VI+Workshop+%3A+The+Fine+Print+in+Black+and+White+Photography&rstart=1&WID=100693

fred takes you step by step through the process of developing within
the context of his own brand of the zone system.  some have accused him
of being didactic, or  closed-minded because of his religious use of
tri-X/HC-110/cold-light head and so on.  however, i think that if are
starting out, there's no better way that to have someone knowledable to
make the basic choices for you.  there will be years and years for you
to experiment with different developers and methods once you get the
process as fred shows you.

i just think it's a crying shame that no sooner is fred taken from us than
his books are out of print.

- -rei

- --
Rei Shinozuka shino@panix.com