Subject: [Leica] M3 sorrow
From: "Daniel Ridings" <dlridings@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 19:24:54 +0200

About a year ago I dropped my M3. (I had already clobbered my M4). The M3
was hurt very bad, but it had been 30 years since I had it looked over so I
packed both of the cameras up and send them to Solms.

The M4 had a cracked body. Solms fixed it up like new. Wonderful work.

The M3 ... now that's a sad story. I got the estimate back (twice as much as
the M4, but hey, we're talking about a cost that only recurs every 30 years
... so no big deal).

Among other things, Solms thought I need a new rangefinder. I kind of
shrugged my shoulders and thought ... they know what they're talking about.

They put one in and the poor camera has been useless since then. I can't get
it to focus and don't dare use an aperature less than f8.0.

So, before the repair warranty went out, I sent it back.

Today I got a friendly letter from Solms:

"Function in Tolerances

Dear Daniel,

We checked the camera completely and can not find a problem with the
rangefinder. Due to its technical design we can not improve the performance
of the finder regarding the flare.

Best regards,

XX (=a nice guy, so I'm not providing his name)"

So, in print they admit: it works within their tolerance, but their
tolerances are not what they used to be.

M3 owners. Do not, I repeat, do not let Solms or any authorized Leica
repairman convince you to replace the rangefinder.

My poor M3 is more or less junk now. I don't dare use it because the only
thing I can rely on is it not getting the focus right or it not being able
to focus at all because of the flare. This flare business is not a rare
thing ... I run into it all the time. It was my first Leica, now it's doomed
to the shelf. If the modern Leicas have this new rangefinder in them ...
then quality is not a word I would apply to Leica.

Leicas are good and the best thing about them are that they are quiet. But
as far as reliability ... that rangefinder in them is about as sensitive as
it can be. Bounce it and it breaks. An F3 will run circles around an
M-camera when it comes to durability.

I guess I'll just have to learn to like my M4 as much as I did my M3.

Daniel Ridings