Subject: Re: [Leica] LFI ( Leica Fotographie)
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 09:55:39 EDT

> I have been a subscriber for probably 20 years.  I have finally had enough.
>  I would not renew my subscription this year.  The magazine has been just
>  plain too marketing oiriented rather than photography and especially
>  portfolio oriented.

Frank, you are right on. I've been a subscriber since the early 70's. Each
year for the last three or four I have said to myself, this year I'm going to
drop it. But with a 30-year collection finally sent in the check. The other
bad aspect for me has been the waste of time looking through a glossy
advertising brochure, time that I need to spend elsewhere. And on the LUG
getting myself in trouble with Mitch over Amtrak.

>  Yes, I liked the older format whereby there were 90% portfolios, and an
>  occasional article on some aspect of a new camera/lens gadget or thing I
>  could buy.

It was for many years an outstanding publication.

> The new format is plain advertising with a cursory portfolio
>  added.

Additional issue: IMO the photography is for the most part pedestrian at best
and mediocre at worst. Finally, the piece a couple if issues ago on the
plight of the Palestinians was accompanied by text that was so blatantly
political and anti-Israeli that it literally took my breath away.

>  There is a lot of nerve in SELLING me advertising.  This time I speak with
>  my wallet.
>
>  Frank Filippone

me too.

Seth     LaK 9