Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica, longevity, and advertising
From: Allan Wafkowski <allan@sohogurus.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 16:45:18 -0400

The most creative advertising is not always the most effective. The most
memorable advertisement I can remember was the Apple Macintosh TV spot
with the 1984 Orwellian theme. It didn't go over well (except as a cult
thing) because it depicted IBM/clone users as mindless, unthinking
computer users. Such a notion was found offensive by many IBM users. It
didn't add much to Apple's market share, but it was one of the very few
times advertising became art.

Allan