Subject: Re: [Leica] Making a gallery
From: Paul Chefurka <paul@chefurka.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 22:26:42 -0400

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 17:54:04 -0700, Herbert & Lee Kanner <kanner@acm.org>
wrote:

>After some dissatisfaction with some of the ready to use sites, e.g.
>leica-gallery as compared to directly displaying from my own site, I
>decided to learn how to use GoLive, a web site development product, to make
>my own gallery.  My first attempt can be seen at
>http://members.telocity.com/kanner

One criticism - the jpegs are too large.  Even with my cable modem they
take an annoying amount of time to load.  I try to keep my jpegs to 600
pixels in the long dimension, and the jpeg file size to between 50 and 100
KB.

It's actually very easy to code a basic web site by hand, and for a simple
photo site you can get better results that way, using an editor like
CoffeeCup (or even Notepad), than by using a more complex product like
GoLive.  This may depend on whether you have any programming experience,
but contrary to popular belief HTML is dead simple. Take a look at the code
from other web sites - if you use IE, just select "View > Source" and all
their secrets will be revealed.  You'll find it's not all that tough to
code the stuff you want by hand, and it can even be faster and cheaper.

Paul
http://www.chefurka.com