Subject: [Leica] disappearing films..
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 17:53:04 -0600

Every now and then the issue of films being dropped by manufacturers comes
up (usually kodachrome, or a b&w film).

This was posted on one of the Large Format lists, and although it refers to
sheet film, I though some here might find it interesting. (as you can
imagine, sheet film is disappearing faster than 35mm - 400 delta, Astia in
some markets and many others in formats like 5x7 or 11x14. Though 8x10 now
seems the next to be loosing them...)

The poster attended Steve Simmons LF Conference in N. Mexico recently. Among
the many other cool sounding things that went on with some very neat
sounding seminars and freebie Readyloads from Kodak, was a presentation
called"

- -The Future of LF Film: Rep's from Kodak, Ilford, Fuji & Bergger

Pete summarised the discussion as follows:

> The big 3 all said the same thing essentially: "use it or lose > it."
Ilford > said they were committed to large and UL formats, however some
sizes may > have to be special ordered by your dealer; quantities are not
the > issue, but > time is. You just may have to wait until they do the next
run if > it's not > on the shelf. Bergger said they would do just about any
size one wanted. > > Kodak said their existing plant was built in the 20's
and while > some of the > equipment has been upgraded, it's way out of date.
The result is poorly > coated film and inconsistency from batch to batch.
They are committed to > film, so they built a new building (building 38)
with brand new coating > machines. They claim this will yield greater
consistency between batches > and better (thinner) coatings, hence new
processing times for > some films. > Kodak will still accept special orders,
but there are minimums to > be met. > Kodak said they had to destroy over
$1M USD of one film last year > (I forget > which) because no one used it -
it's now been discontinued. > > The theme echoed by Ilford, Kodak & Fuji,
was as long as it sells, we'll > produce it. As to certain Fuji product not
being distributed in the US, > their rep. said e-mail Fuji & complain.
Ilford said the same > thing, e-mail > them if you want something. I can
provide the e-mail addresses (I don't > have them accessible right now) if
anyone wants them. > > Bottom line: Keep shooting!