Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Flash guide numbers and they work? OT
From: "J. Gilbert Plantinga" <gilplant@hvc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 18:59:01 -0400

I don't know how to explain it simply, but I do know the formula:
Aperture = Guide Number / Distance

I also know that the most useful fact is that the guide number for iso
100 is usually the model number of the flash, and the bigger that number
is the more powerful, and more expensive (and for me more likely to give
that blown-out look) the flash is.

I had to check the instructions on the SF 20, but an example of the
formula in use is:

f2 = guide number 20 / 10 meters

so with 100 speed film the SF 20 has a range of 10 meters at f2, but
only 5 meters at f4 etc. The really nice thing is that the SF 20 will do
all the calculations for me and display the results (on the LCD, not
unfortunately the picture! Available light still rules!).

On my bigger Metz 54 MZ3 the guide number is effectively different when
the reflector is zoomed to cover diverent focal lengths. Makes my head
spin. But this Metz is also pretty simple for a dufus like myself to
operate, and I've even checked out the high speed sync with it on the M7
(it works).

Gilbert