Subject: Re: [Leica] Update on Nikon 8000ED scanner
From: Paul Chefurka <paul@chefurka.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 22:18:55 -0400

On Sun, 14 Jul 2002 10:52:24 -0700 (PDT), Darrell Jennings
<darrell_jennings@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Sounds like I am operating the same way you are Paul.
>
>However, if you don't see improvement after 360DPI,
>aren't you better off to down res to that size and
>save the disk space?

What if I want to make a bigger print sometime in the future?  If I don't
have the data, I have to rescan and reprocess the image.

>Have you run any tests on just scanning at 360DPI to
>begin with vs. at full res and then downsizing the
>DPI?

The results should be identical, as long as you never want to make a larger
print.  The only time that resampling algorithms have any major visible
effect is with upsampling.  There, the choice between nearest neighbor,
bicubic or Lanczos may make a difference, as will incremental upsampling
techniques.  Downsampling above the printer's resolution threshold is
effectively invisible.

My philosophy is that disk space is cheap, and scanning at full res means
never having to say you're sorry later.  This is all predicated on having
disk space, RAM size and processor speed, though.

Paul

Message from Darrell Jennings <darrell_jennings@yahoo.com> (Re: [Leica] Update on Nikon 8000ED scanner)