Subject: Re: [Leica] Update on Nikon 8000ED scanner
From: Paul Chefurka <paul@chefurka.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 13:41:39 -0400

On Sun, 14 Jul 2002 19:19:18 +0200, "Steve Unsworth"
<mail@steveunsworth.co.uk> wrote:

>Don
>
>I always print files at 360 DPI (a multiple of the 1440 DPI my printer
>is capable of) I've always sort of assumed that having the one directly
>divisible by the other makes things easier for the printer driver (I'm
>probably talking rubbish of course).
>
>Steve

Well, I take a fairly brain-dead approach - I scan at full res and full bit
depth on my LS-4000.  I do the necessary in Photoshop, and when it comes
time to print I just select "Fit to Page" and dump the file to the printer.
The file transfer takes a bit longer, but I've never seen any artifacts on
the print that I could attribute to using this technique.  One reason I
like this approach is that I'm always working at full res, and there's less
chance of accidentally saving over the original with a downsampled copy.

I tried a downsampling test using my old Epson 870 and glossy paper.  There
was a visible difference going from 200 dpi to 300, but beyond 360 dpi the
images looked identical.

Paul

Message from "Steve Unsworth" <mail@steveunsworth.co.uk> (RE: [Leica] Update on Nikon 8000ED scanner)