Subject: [Leica] Nikon 8000ED scan times
From: Darrell Jennings <darrell_jennings@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 12:16:53 -0700 (PDT)

I did some test scans today at various different
settings.  These were all done of a 6X6 (2 1/4 square)
Fuji Velvia transp.  Software used was Photoshop 7,
and Nikon 1.3.1 scan software. The PC used was a
2.26Ghz Pentium 4 with 1 Gig of RAM.  All scans were
done at 4000 DPI.

software and doing a preview took 2 minutes 45
seconds. It then took about 1 minute to select the
various options in software, crop the image and start
the scan.

1. Scanning at 1X scan and 8 bits without Digital Ice
was the fastest at 1 minutes 50 seconds for the scan.

2. Scanning at 1X and 8 bits with Digital Ice was 5
minutes 35 seconds.

3. Scanning at 1X and 14 bits with Digital Ice was 5
minutes 50 seconds.

4. Scanning at 16X with 14 bits and Digital Ice was 73
minutes and 30 seconds. Per the reviews I have read
there is a slight improvement at 16X scan, but little
or no improvement with an lesser number vs. the 1X
scan. Given the time involved obviously this would not
become your default scan setting, it would only be
used for problem images.