Subject: Re: [Leica] More Push versus Pull
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 21:41:25 -0700

Gregory Rubenstein wrote:

> Want to thank Don for his Fuji Neopan 1600 recommendation. One of the
> simpler, straightforward suggestions I've received on and off line.
> Impressive endorsements, too. Will definitely give it a shot.
>
> For discussion, here's a recommendation received from a small, custom lab I
> work with: expose Delta 400 as close to normal as possible (the tech is a
> concert shooter) and process it for, maybe, 800 or so. He's confident my
> gear and the house lights will let me keep the ASA normal or darn close.
> Expect to try this as well. Will likely discuss the setting, then run a snip
> test. Forgot to ask what he'd process the film in, but have worked enough
> with this lab to be comfortable on occasion to say what I've done, explain
> where I want to go and get out of the way. Not my preferred mode, but
> sometimes awfully darned effective.
>
> Appreciate any thoughts on the 400-exposure/800 processing approach.
>
> Greg Rubenstein
> gcr910@msn.com

I'm not just being the Devils Advocate here Greg when it came to
printing the negs from a concert and i had a choice between normally
developed negatives or negatives which are over developed (which is what
you are doing when you say you are developing for 800) I'd go with the
normal negs any day!!

God knows I've had to print those over developed negs with the blocked
up highlights in that situation countless times. What a pain! This is
what most photographers start out doing from what I've seen: Working
from over enthusiastically developed negatives.

Concert photography is a real challenge to expose for. It's almost worth
it to bring a spot meter. A face can be many times brighter than you'd
think or that it gets exposed for. I'd hate to see that over developed
as well.

You'd think a guy in a custom lab would know but sometimes they don't.
Ever get a chance by the way to see his prints?

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] More Push versus Pull)