Subject: Re: [Leica] Developing Temperature
From: "Rei Shinozuka" <shino@panix.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 18:10:23 -0400 (EDT)

i think it all depends on the ambient temperature in the room.

one thing you can do is to take the temperature of the developer
after you are done and assume the midpoint between starting and
ending temperature.

if the temperature of the room is above 68 degrees, you could use
a water bath to put the tank in will with water a few degrees
below 68.

in general, i start draining tanks 10 seconds before the time is up,
which is good with my jobos even with 6 reels.

- -rei

> From: "Tom Smart" <tom@sleepytom.com>
>
> I've started to develop my own film with Ilford's online reference as my
> guide.  The reference recommends starting the developing process at 70
> degrees F., allowing it to cool to 68 degrees during development (dd-x
> developer).  Is it common to allow for 2 degrees of cooling during
> development, or is it more typical to start at 68 degrees?  My first roll of
> Ilford Delta 100 seemed to work well as suggested (12 minutes), now I'm
> going to develop a couple of rolls of Delta 400 and plan to start it at 70
> degrees (8 minutes).  Also, can I plan on both rolls in a 2-roll tank to
> develop evenly or will the 30-second pour time allow the bottom roll to
> develop more strongly than the top roll?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom Smart

- --
Rei Shinozuka shino@panix.com