Subject: Re: [Leica] Developing Temperature
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 14:59:03 -0700

Tom Smart wrote:

> I've started to develop my own film with Ilford's online reference as my
> guide.  The reference recommends starting the developing process at 70
> degrees F., allowing it to cool to 68 degrees during development (dd-x
> developer).  Is it common to allow for 2 degrees of cooling during
> development, or is it more typical to start at 68 degrees?  My first roll of
> Ilford Delta 100 seemed to work well as suggested (12 minutes), now I'm
> going to develop a couple of rolls of Delta 400 and plan to start it at 70
> degrees (8 minutes).  Also, can I plan on both rolls in a 2-roll tank to
> develop evenly or will the 30-second pour time allow the bottom roll to
> develop more strongly than the top roll?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom Smart
>
> --
I think Kodak recommends 68 degrees with Ilford recommends 70. I've gone
with 70. I don't think it makes much difference which one you pick. But
I'd not switch around. I'd pick a temperature and stick with it from
then on for everything. A certain film is not going to need a different
temperature from what i can see. Just a different time.

But on the other hand I've heard there is a new trend to develop at such
temps as 75 degrees with the T-Max films and all which have come out. I
hear that such a higher temperature works out alright, shortening
otherwise very long developing times. But I've been doing 70 degrees
since about 1970.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com