Subject: Re: [Leica] Developing Temperature
From: John Brownlow <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 19:50:13 -0400

On 7/20/02 5:33 PM, "Tom Smart" <tom@sleepytom.com> wrote:

> I've started to develop my own film with Ilford's online reference as my
> guide.  The reference recommends starting the developing process at 70
> degrees F., allowing it to cool to 68 degrees during development (dd-x
> developer).  Is it common to allow for 2 degrees of cooling during
> development, or is it more typical to start at 68 degrees?  My first roll of
> Ilford Delta 100 seemed to work well as suggested (12 minutes), now I'm
> going to develop a couple of rolls of Delta 400 and plan to start it at 70
> degrees (8 minutes).  Also, can I plan on both rolls in a 2-roll tank to
> develop evenly or will the 30-second pour time allow the bottom roll to
> develop more strongly than the top roll?

the main thing is to do the same thing every time and tweak the dev. times
until you are happy

personally I start at 68 and let it do what it likes after that

the closer you start to your ambient temperature the less it drifts. My
ambient temp in the old basement was 65-68c, so 68 made a lot of sense.

the effect of temperature drift on BW development is minimal since the most
active development takes place in the first few minutes.

- --
JB