Subject: [Leica] WAS: f 1 is too mush!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 06:23:02 -0700

Simon Jessurun wrote & showed:

>>> Anyhow thanks for taking the time to look at an amateurs pictures and
here
> are two more of the ixus stuff.
> http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=889034&size=sm
> http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=600120&size=sm><<<<

Hello Simon,
Looking at the work of amateurs is what old pros like me of 50 years happy
snapping are supposed to do in the event we can assist with your interest of
photography. Actually it would've been nice if pros a long long time ago
even said hello when we asked a question, however in the olden days amateurs
were pushed aside as though we didn't exist.

Sometime we can be cold and what appears ruthless in critique and comment.
However it's never meant personally. You never learn anything from negative
comments without positive comments how to make it better.

Often a posted picture is beautiful, simple and as well done whether one is
amateur or professional.

And in point; the baby! :-)

> http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=600120&size=sm><<<<

The picture of the baby is as beautiful as it can be! It's so well done,
heart warming and different from the usual "baby pictures" we see on the
LUG. And whether you're an amateur or not, there are many amateurs and pros,
who'd be proud to say they shot it. Me included! ;-)

What I really like is the different angle and it's simple clean composition
with it's perfect lighting for the subject.

> http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=889034&size=sm<<<

The dogs. And yes, the "master." ;-)

I like this, but with a couple of points. At first I couldn't figure out
where they were, I thought a convertible car with the top down, a boat on
the canal, of course you're in Amsterdam why couldn't it be on a boat! ;-)
On closer examination it's an open top tour bus.

The cropping.. It feels too tight and one doesn't appreciate where they are,
cropped looser... a wider view, two things would happen.

The viewer could appreciate where the dogs are while they remained the
prominent point of the photograph. And the master wouldn't be hanging into
the edge of the frame. Actually, if there's enough area around the dogs, you
might consider cutting the master off completely.

One more point:
In case you don't have more space on the negative.. "The hairy arm on the
edge."... burn it down, make it slightly darker then it wont be as eye
catching.

Now you should appreciate I'm the "photo editor" making comments only on
what I see, not what the actual circumstances were of seating and variables
of the location. It's easy to re-construct a fictitious scene for the always
perfect picture taking. And if it were possible, then we'd all be the
world's greatest photographers. ;-)

Keep posting and don't be in fear of being shot at, as it comes with the
territory and the LUG at times. :-)
ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant