Subject: Re: [Leica] OT - film scanner
From: Darrell Jennings <darrell_jennings@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 18:13:05 -0700 (PDT)

Oliver are you looking at the 4000 or 8000? (the 8000
handles medium format and costs more).

I have the 8000 and it works really well and really
slowly. I blew up a medium format print on a
commerical Epson 10000 that look great, and the guy
running the 10K couldn't believe what a great scan I
had to work with.

However, to get that scan took about 80 minutes! You
can scan faster, but at a slight cost in quality...if
the image you have needs the quality to look good you
are looking at VERY slow times. If speed is an issue
you are better off getting an Imacon which will do the
same great quality in MUCH less time (like 3 minutes).

The price difference is $5K for the Imacon vs. $3K for
the Nikon.  Big dollar difference, but probably worth
it if you are scanning frequently.  For my problem
images, I start the scan and go to dinner or go watch
a movie and come back....To be fair, MOST of the scans
I have done in the three weeks I've had the scanner
have been the ones that gave me trouble on my Epson
2450.  For simple one pass scans the Nikon is about
four or five minutes. Also the dust removing
capability is GREAT and works really really well. DJ