Subject: Re: [Leica] Misfocusing 50 Summicron
From: "Rei Shinozuka" <shino@panix.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 17:56:19 -0400 (EDT)

"endemic" was not referring to leicas but the concept of the rangefinder
itself; the concept of using a very precise angular measurements coupled with
a lens' helical do need to be adjusted carefully, particularly when
interchangable lenses are involved.  in contrast, the SLR's method is more
straightforward--what you see is what you get.

i should also clarify i was using the word "endemic" as "peculiar to" rather
than "common."

i personally enjoy using rangefinders over SLRs and with my eyes find
accurate focusing easier; however, in my personal sample of four cameras,
all four rangefinders were off and needed to be adjusted.

- -rei

 From: SthRosner@aol.com

> In a message dated 7/27/02 2:52:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time, shino@panix.com
> writes:
>
> > this is a problem endimic to the rangefinder concept.
>
> Rei, I've been using M4's since 1967 - three of them - and I've never
> experienced this endemic rangefinder problem. Candidly, I've never
> experienced it on either of my current M6's. Not that it has any relevance
> but both M6's are early Wetzlar classics.
>
> Best,
>
> Seth        LaK 9

- --
Rei Shinozuka shino@panix.com