Subject: Re: [Leica] Women as pros
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 19:25:53 -0700

on 7/29/02 4:34 PM, Roy Feldman at royfel@mac.com thoughtfully wrote:

> For the last two semesters (2001, 2002) I was surprised (and delighted) to
> find the women make up about 70% of the photography student body.
> The department chairman notes this number has been steadily growing for
> the last 5 years or so.

I'm very pleased to see this. And wonder why? Is it the change in
technology?

I notice in the darkroom I frequent more than half the people using it for
commercial purposes are women, most doing portraits although many are then
adding hand-tinting to the black and white work.

I'm seeing more women in software engineering and in video these days too -
although few female video camera operators, perhaps because the pro cameras
are still pretty heavy?

Oh, and by the way, my copy of "Vision and Art: the Biology of Seeing" has
arrived and is totally fascinating.

Fiat lux.

Adam