Subject: [Leica] OT: Women in technology (was: Women as pros)
From: "Rei Shinozuka" <shino@panix.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 07:34:37 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
>
> I'm seeing more women in software engineering ...

here's a story from Nov 1998 that surprised me by stating that the
trend is to a decline of women in technology.  i've since read this
in other sources:

http://www.computerworld.com/news/1998/story/0,11280,34351,00.html

 "Compared with 10 years ago, women make up a smaller percentage of
  computer science graduates, and the percentage of women in IT has
  shrunk from 35% in the early 1990s to 29% today, according to recent
  data from the U.S. Department of Labor."

 "According to the U.S. Department of Education, the number of women
  graduating with bachelor's degrees in computer science has dropped
  from about 37% in 1984 to 28% in 1995. Some said young women are put
  off by the stereotype of the computer geek who lacks social skills and
  is focused on technical duties. "

- -rei

- --
Rei Shinozuka shino@panix.com