Subject: Re: [Leica] LHSA Meetings. It's not just about cameras anymore.
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 12:08:35 -0700

George Lottermoser wrote:

> >"photograph" is basically meaningless.
> >Print making is a wide and varied field.
>
> I reckon all words have no meaning until a collective agrees on a meaning within
> the context of a specific dialogue.
>
> For me - photographic print has always meant "a print made on paper coated with
> a light sensitive emulsion". Seems clear, succinct and useful.
>
> George
> --

Sounds good to me!
They just go: Silver gelatine paper print.

The name the thing the photo is on (paper, but what about a porcelain plate?)
the photosensitive thing: silver (could be platinum or other things)
and what that photosensitive is embedded in: Gelatine (could be albumen
I recall)

Three things
It ends up sounding quiet pretentious but it does tell you exactly what
you are looking at and if you want to call it a photograph that's up to you!.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com