Subject: Re: [Leica] Millimeters and milliseconds
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 22:54:58 -0700

Mike Quinn>
> OK I agree. You spend years practicing just so you won't have to think
about
> it when it's time to do it. But practicing efficiently usually involves
> thinking about it BEFORE you do it. Thinking isn't so bad (if you're
careful
> to limit it to small harmless doses).<<<<

Hi Mike,
Cool! A little thought works sometimes. ;-)

The problem is, some folks don't understand "little harmless doses" and
think out every little nuance of a situation before them. And before they
squeeze the shutter release down have to analyze the whole damn scene
instead of seeing something interesting and re-acting........ "CLICK!"

Some I suppose go through the routine of shutter lag, zone system and many
other items before they shoot. Or at times here on the LUG it appears that
way. If only they let their theories down and shot by "feel" instead of
thought, in many cases their picture taking would improve.

In most cases once the film is in the camera, the most important item to
have a first line thought about is light! Then if it entails a people
subject, then it's the eyes and finally reacting to the action. This action
of course may only be a hand gesture, a smile, twinkle in the eye,
nevertheless it's an action of some kind. Then the shutter goes click.

Obviously the above items take place faster than I type or read, but being
intune with the subject or location one is visiting allows for a faster and
better number of pictures....... without any thought. And certainly no
thought of time lag.

Anyway, I'm sure by now I'm flogging a dead animal on this topic and will
move on. However, be back tomorrow with another harrowing tale from the
inside of the OR and the finer details of  action on the cutting table! ;-)
ted