Subject: Re: [Leica] M6J an improvement?
From: "Rei Shinozuka" <shino@panix.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 07:37:58 -0400 (EDT)

andrew,

my impression (which could very well be wrong) was that the M6J was
a commemorative issue with some cosmetic changes and a number of
functional changes, the most important being the 0.85 magnification
view finder, which predated the HM M6's by a number of years.

mr. puts does not seem to find evidence of a higher M6J build quality:
http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/mseries/choosem.html

my guess is that you can get what you need from an M6 0.85 classic or
TTL at much lower cost.  they only made 1,600 M6J's and the last one
i saw was pretty pricey.  i don't recall the number, but it was a
nice-looking camera, and when i inquired as to the price and received
the answer, i emitted some sort of whistling sound.

still, if you like chrome, if you like the classic body proportions,
if you like the HM viewfinder, M6J is the only game in town.  i like
all three, but gave up the first with my M6HM classic.

- -rei

> From: "Andrew Amundsen" <andy@tcinternet.net>
>
> I was trying to get into the discussion of the highly regarded M3 as
> possibly the best made M camera and the suggestion that things have not
> improved over the years with the M line. My suggestion is that if the
> M6J has the same quality build as the 50's/60's era M's and works as an
> M6 it would, in my opinion, be the most desired Leica for users.
>
> Again too bad they made so few. What's the opinion out there about this?
> Would anyone agree it would be a great user M6?! Beauty AND brains!
>
> Does anyone USE their M6J? I hope so...
>
> -Andrew
>
> >From: "Rei Shinozuka" <shino@panix.com>wrote:
>
> > is it any different from the viewfinder that eventually became
> > the heart of the m6 0.85 classic?
> >
> >> From: "Mitch Zeissler" <zeissler@directvinternet.com>wrote:
> >>
> >> The M6J viewfinder is nice; I have one in my early M3.

- --
Rei Shinozuka shino@panix.com
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Replies: Reply from Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com> (Re: [Leica] M6J an improvement?)