Subject: Re: [Leica] M6J an improvement?
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 09:13:23 -0400

- --On Thursday, August 01, 2002 07:37:58 AM -0400 Rei Shinozuka
<shino@panix.com> wrote:

> andrew,
>
> my impression (which could very well be wrong) was that the M6J was
> a commemorative issue with some cosmetic changes and a number of
> functional changes, the most important being the 0.85 magnification
> view finder, which predated the HM M6's by a number of years.
>
> mr. puts does not seem to find evidence of a higher M6J build quality:
> http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/mseries/choosem.html
>
> my guess is that you can get what you need from an M6 0.85 classic or
> TTL at much lower cost.  they only made 1,600 M6J's and the last one
> i saw was pretty pricey.  i don't recall the number, but it was a
> nice-looking camera, and when i inquired as to the price and received
> the answer, i emitted some sort of whistling sound.
>
> still, if you like chrome, if you like the classic body proportions,
> if you like the HM viewfinder, M6J is the only game in town.  i like
> all three, but gave up the first with my M6HM classic.
>
> -rei

The reason that it is of more than just passing interest is that:

1. It seems a foregone conclusion that Leica will find some way to
memorialize the 50th anniversary of the M3, which is fast approaching.

and

2. There are persistent rumors that Leica will reintroduce the M6 Classic.

Possibly both of these rumors will be combined in a production M6J that
looks more like an M3, such as the Millenium body.

- --
Rolfe Tessem
Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com