Subject: Re: [Leica] Roger Hicks and the 21+35+90 combo?
From: ALEXSCIFI@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 09:10:56 EDT

I wasn't aware that I (or Roger Hicks) was promoting the 21/35/90 as THE
system. Right up front, I stated that my own personal choice was (and still
is for 35mm) 28/50/90. Roger Hicks (and his wife Frances Shultz--they are
usually co-authors) is a petty prolific writer. Amamzon.com gives 31 hits
when his name as author and the subject "photography" and he is a Leica M
user. As such, I was looking for an articulate, incisive, and professional
explanation of why "he" chooses 21/35/90 as "his" primary 35 system--he also
uses MF and LF, fwiw. Not, having read the article yet, I don't know if he
actually makes a "case" of just the 21/35/90 or what. However, as two of my
primary genres are travel and street photography, I have a special interest
in minimalist systems and the writings of articulate individuals who might be
inclined to delineate their own "personal"  choice of such a system--whatever
it might be.

Regretfully, still no word on the article itself--if it exist.

Alex

> Again I would add that if you're serious about your images, your vision,
your
> working distance comfort level, your subject matter - price and bulk has
much
> less to do with things than focal length, minimum focus distance and
maximum
> aperture.

Yes of course George is right. That said, anyone who knows the writings of
Roger Hicks will be aware that he is dead against the idea of "gurus" in
photography.

For his style, the 21-35-90 combination works better than the old classic
35-50-90. That is all there is to it. I am certain that the man would be
appalled at the idea of anyone treating this as holy writ. As he would say
"what works for you, works for you".<<

Replies: Reply from "dplace" <dlpimages@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Roger Hicks and the 21+35+90 combo?)