Subject: [Leica] photojournalism fails to change the world
From: John Pakington <johnnie@bbpr.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 09:14:51 +0100

B.D wrote: 'I said that much as it pained me to say it, I would urge him to
get the
MA...Want to change the world, I said, you'll have a better chance having a
real impact with an urban planning degree from MIT than you will being THE
documentary photographer of your era. Sad, but true.'

About a month ago I went to see Don McCullen speak at the Royal Geographic
Society in London. At the end of his lecture, his conclusion was that in the
many years of photographing the world's trouble spots and having his photos
published in the nationals on a weekly basis, he didn't think that he had
made a bit of difference. In fact he thinks that the world is a worse place
now than it was when he started. He now shoots landscapes (funnily enough he
didn't mention anything about the African AIDS project.)

Johnnie

Johnnie Pakington
Camden
London