Subject: Re: [Leica] Eugene Smith's problems
From: clifford wright <skidoophoto@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 12:12:18 -0700 (PDT)

Refer also to "Dr Albert Schweitzer Marking Timbers
During Construction Project, 1954" which was printed
from more than one negative. The hands and saw at the
bottom right corner have been superimposed.
 Also, one of my favorites, "Madness, 1959" was also
heavily manipulated with burning and bleaching to
fantastic effect.
Clif Wright

- --- tm <leicar8@earthlink.net> wrote:
> There is a fascinating article in a supplemental
> magazine issue from the
> publishers of Photo Techniques Magazine, "Mastering
> The Black & White Fine
> Print" (special issue #11) about W. Eugene Smith
> that I highly recommend
> reading. Besides discussing Smith's mental problems,
> it reveals how his
> most-known prints/images were not straight prints;
> rather, via photographs
> included in the article, the author of it reveals
> how Smith used darkroom
> tricks to comlete a lot of his prints even though
> his fans never realized
> (until this article) that this was so. One of the
> photos in the article
> shows Smith with two Leica screwmount bodies and
> lenses around his neck. The
> most surprising finds in this article for me were
> how he manipulated his
> famous "Spanish Wak" print and his "Tomoko in her
> Bath" print to arrive at
> the finished products. Having first seen both of
> these images in my youth, I
> was shocked upon reading this article at what he had
> failed to communicate
> to us about said manipulations, for I always assumed
> they were from original
> negatives exposed by a fortunate photographer.  This
> does not mean I am
> attempting to vilify him herein, however.
>
> Terry
>

> --

=====
"The eye is for looking, not for thinking." Marc Riboud