Subject: Re: [Leica] Tilley hats, yet again
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 09:01:18 +0200 (MEST)

> Olive green jackets can get you into trouble too.

Not to mention duffel bags ... when I left the US I borrowed my girl
friend's father's duffel bag from WWII (this was 1976). I could put
everything I wanted in there ... even had a Durst ??35 enlarger (small,
the one that only took 35mm). I hung around Istanbul for a while and then
flew on to Tel Aviv with Turkish Airlines. Before we took off, I heard my
name called out and they asked me to come down on the runway. There was my
bag. Was it mine?, yes, ok, go back on.

At Ben Gurion two security people virtually lifted me off of the stairs
before my feet even touched the ground and swished me into a security van
that was waiting there. They were nice enough, but I realized that the
duffel bag was a dumb thing to have in the middle east. Young and dumb,
now only dumb.

Zero Halliburton cases are another sure way to make sure your luggage
misses connections when they're tight. They always get pulled off by
security people and if you're on a tight schedule ... I remember mine
swinging like a pendulum back and forth between Ghana and Nairobi while I
waited for my clothes in Harare. It didn't make it on the same flight as I
did out of Heathrow and took six days to finally settle down in Zimbabwe.

I'm going back to Zimbabwe in a week. I've been doing some work there for
10 years now. I probably won't take my Leicas, but the F3's instead. 10
years ago I wouldn't have worried a bit. Now ... I'll get robbed, sooner
or later. F3's are easier to replace, particularly when the pros are going
digital and trading in their stuff.

Daniel Ridings