Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: R9 scoop
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 16:43:20 -0400

No, George, for a number of reasons. One, I will not pay $.15 - let alone
$1900 - for a mechanical SLR that does not have a ratcheted film advance
lever, which I consider as much an essential feature of a high end SLR as
Jim Brick does a mirror lock.

Second, I have handled them enough to know that I consider them far too pick
and bulky and, to my hands, non-ergonomic, than any mechanical camera has a
right to be.

Third, if I am going to sink that kind of money into an SLR I want the kind
of flash features either the Nikons or Canons can give me; I want autofocus,
which gives me the option to use either manual or autofocus, and I want the
full range of lenses I can get from Nikon or Canon.

In short, if I buy an SLR I want a modern camera with the full range of
modern features. And I don't need to put film through a camera, nor do I
need to spend a day with it, to know that it is not the camera for me. And
based on sales figures, it's not the camera for many people at all.

If it works for you, good for you. Enjoy. I have no doubt that as it uses
Leica glass, it produces stunning images. But then so does my almost
40-year-old Nikon F using Nikon glass.

B. D.