Subject: [Leica] Near Nocti disaster!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:52:12 -0700

Hi Folks,
In the past there have been odd comments about a lens coming loose in the M6
mount. As in, the lens lock button has been accidently pushed and the lens
"slightly released" to eventually drop to the floor, whereever.

This morning Sandy had the unfortunate assignment of photographing the old
guy for the dust jacket and inside photo for the re-release of, "This is Our
Work.The Legacy of Sir William Osler." book.

Having been shooting with one of those unmentionable cameras, she picked-up
my M6 with Noctilux and as she did, she barely put her hand to the Noctilux
and it came free in her hand! If she'd not been quick of action it could've
just as easily dropped to the tiled floor of the shoot location.

And she'd have had great pictures with the other make, of moi face down
crying loudly as the Nocti glass sort of splintered everywhere. :-(
However, as she said, "Am I ever glad I caught it, as I'd never have heard
the end of how I smashed your precious Noctilux! :-)

And she's perfectly right! Actually I'd have probably drawn and quartered
her hanging the darkroom under the glow of safe lights! ;-)

I mean this is a Leica Noctilux lens that's traveled the world, been rained
& snowed on, completely splattered with cow dung, and beer spilt all over it
by a drunk. And through all of that it still performs perfectly! And it's
never Ben cleaned by a technician.  Me and hot breathe and under shorts more
times than I can count. ;-)

Anyway it was a close call! And at my age I can't take too many of those.
;-)

ted