Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: R9 scoop
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 13:13:26 -0500

B. D. Colenbdcolen@earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)8/22/021:20 PM

>list, but when someone expresses contrary opinions about "your" camera,
>that person is "ranting." :-)

Perhaps I did choose the wrong word with "rant". I don't mind contrary opinions about gear. To
each his/her own. I just don't understand declarations (hopefully not too harsh a word :-0) which
suggest that one feature or another, or lack of one feature or another make a particular piece of
gear, or manufacturer more than or less than some other piece of gear or manufacturer.

>As to KISS, nothing is more KISS than putting an AF SLR on apperature
>priority and firing away. ;-)

When I had N90 and F5 gear I tried to see it that way - for years. But for me the cameras became a
mindless point and shoots. Great for fast action stuff, which I rarely shoot. When I wanted to
make some decisions, different than the chosen mode's, I had to go through a bunch of screens and
button combinations which never seemed related to simple aperture ring, shutter ring, focus,
shoot. Never enjoyed the point and shoot modality. I missed that other and different kind of
simplicity that comes with manual mode, where the mind/body experience simply works with a
mechanical tool in the hand. So all the bells and whistles went unused. I say this not to sell or
defend my preferences or disparage other's. Probably speaks more to my age and decades of M and
Nikon F use. I can easily imagine assignments which would send me out shopping for auto everything
gear. Fortunately or unfortunately - I don't have any such assignments.

Whenever I hear about the mavericks out there who have the R to EOS adapter, I experience lust for
a Canon digital body with said adapter. Not a matter of if but when.

George