Subject: Re: [Leica] new pic
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 13:41:48 -0700

Brian David Stevens wrote:

> hello all
>
> Was doing a promotional shoot for the tranvestites I've been following and
> photographing, took a few 'backstage' shots and rather like this one...
>
> http://www.leica-gallery.net/bds/image-32045.html

What makes this image to me so very successful is that fact that for one
that this is not obviously a cross dressing thing going on her. I may
not have known that if i was not told it.
I'd have no reason to not assume that this was his completed "look."
This is a fella wearing a white shirt and tie. It's only from the neck
up that he does not quite look like the Brooks Brothers man!
His "identity" is not obvious to us. There is no dress hanging on the
wall he's about to put on.

As far as I go drag queen shots are a dime a dozen you might as well be
shooting homeless people or the mental ward.
"Cheap shots" i call that whole thing how can you miss?

But this fella is not wearing a dress. It does not obviously appear if
that's happening at all that he's dressing up to be the opposite sex.
Nothing in this picture is obvious at all. The compostion, subject
matter, originality and technical quality all are the tops.

One of the most intriguing shots I've seen in a while. Certainly on the internet.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com