Subject: [Leica] Graham's landscapes
From: John Pakington <johnnie@bbpr.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:25:14 +0100

 Rob wrote: 'the pictures are sort of emotionally neutral, or detached. I
feel that landscape is a genre which
requires an emotional input of some sort, and that is what I was missing.
That can take the form of weather, lighting, or many other more or less
clichéd tricks - like heavy burning in. I feel your pictures were missing
this dimension, although they are very successful formally. '

I had just finished e-mailing Graham to say  how impressed I was with his
landscapes when I read Rob's comments above. I cannot tell you how much I
disagree with these sentiments. The last thing that these very well
observed, cleverly composed images need is a bunch of gimmics to make them
eye catching. They are a superb set of photos of that turn some un-dramatic
scenery into excellent pictures. Don't fall into the temptation of grade 5
paper, red filters, starbursts and all that b*ll*cks and keep walking and
clicking. Somewhere up there James Ravilious is watching over you.

Johnnie

Johnnie Pakington
Camden
London