Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW 35...Scott
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:26:13 -0700

"B. D. Colen" wrote:

> Thanks, but I am not a master of anything!:-)....
>
> I use Tri-X almost exclusively, and almost always rate it at 800, unless I'm
> going to be out-of-doors on a bright day. I don't develop my own film, but
> the place that does it develops it Xtol, and get great results. One of these
> days I am actually going to spring for a used single reel tank, some plastic
> bottles, and fool around with Acufine, which I used a zillion years ago to
> push tri-X. If I remember correctly Jim Marshall, rock 'n roll shooter,
> shoots tri-x at 800 almost exclusively and has it developed in Acufine.
>
><Snip>

BD a couple of suggestions don't get a single reel tank. They have
fallen into disgrace! Get a double reel tank, two 35mm reels or one 120
reel. This Pint tank makes for the best agitation pattern when you
agitate with inversion; and it a better amount of chemistry to be
working with. I think most academic programs tell the students to not
get the single reel tanks any more. They are trouble. And Awkward.

Acufine was the first developer i ever used! I used it at 800 with my
Voigtländer Vito BL. First i replenished it then I did it at 1:1 which
gave me much better results. This was 1965. I think it was made in the
Chicago area which is where I was.

And if your bottles are plastic may they not be the kind you get at even
the better photo stores which seem very cheap to me and it seemed to me
my chemicals would last MUCH shorter in them when i used to use them.
They have high grade Libratory grade plastic which makes for a sealed
non breathing enclosure.

Me i got Brown glass bottles from a laboratory Supply house which is the
yellow pages category.
They are beautiful and relatively cheap. You don't worry any air is
going to go right through the glass.

Last month I drop kicked a gallon of rapid fix in my darkroom as I was
talking to my cleaning person. (Who is from Tibet).
I just kicked it over and it broke. I keep it on the floor under my sink
and it was sticking out.
I think i break some glass in my darkroom every 8 or 9 years.

Also I happen to know Jim Marshall will shoot his Tri x at 800 for most
situations but situations when he'd need plus X; or a medium speed film
he pulls his Tri x  to 200. A very simple system. Never deviate from one
film. Me I'd use the Plus X but  I see the top people always have the
simplest techniques.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com