Subject: Re: [Leica] Small pocket able camera
From: "Roger Bunting" <rlbunting@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 21:04:51 -0500

I received a Contax T3 recently from my spouse. She was trying to give me a
way out of carrying a bag of gear on business trips. I had been using a
Olympus Stylus Epic 35mm f2.8 len for a backup to either a M6 with 35mm
ASPH/50mm Lux or a F3 system. On a recent trip she raised an eyebrow when I
picked up the Domke 803, so I secumbed and just took the T3. She even made
me agree to use it as a P&S the first three days. She was going along and
didn't want me fooling with settings or manuals (you really don't need one
after the first reading).

Results were excellent from the T3 and I'm embarrased to say that for this
type of work I may not need all the other stuff. Boy do I feel naked without
the bag. I will need some place to put the Palm, Cell Phone, etc... But the
T3 offers felxibility that just isn't available in other small compact
cameras. A few weeks ago it was the only thing I took to the Chicago Air and
Water show. I know only a 35mm lens, but good crowd shots and some great
flyover shots. Set the exposure system to auto with -2ev comp, fixed focused
on infinity - minimal shutter lag - and some fun shots. I don't have a hood
for the lens so I did encounter flare.

I have a couple of passable photos taken in dark wine cellars when in Napa
Valley. These must have been about 2-3 second autoexposures. Camera was
perched on a railing for the shot - shutter tripped with the 2-second self
timer - need a little more comp in the flat light but still learning the
meter on this one. It's not as intuitive for me as the M6 meter.

Think I'll still keep the Epic as it is a good camera to hand to a
friend/fellow-tourist to take a snap that includes you in the picture. I
also like the spot mode on that camera, especially for night pictures.

The results from the T3 are making me re-evaluate how I'm going to allot my
photography time and travel gear. My M6 is not seeing much action right now,
and I'm going through some withdrawal, but even for street photos you can
set the T3 to f8 at 5meters, no focus lag, autoexposure and grab shots till
the battery runs out :-).

Regards
Roger