Subject: [Leica] Origins of SWMBO - much older than you think
From: "Mitch Zeissler" <zeissler@directvinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:07:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 30 August 2002, "Ernest Nitka" wrote:
> Bingo! or at least that's my information - My father took it upon himself to
> read some of H. Ryder Haggard's tomes to us when we were in grade school -
> memorable summer nites with him reading - I became addicted and have
> inherited a large number of his novels. This was when it first dawned on me
> that the written word and my imagination were better than Hollywood's
> product - King Solomon's Mines with Stuart Granger come to mind.  Sorry
> there is no prize for winning this contest :( but thanks for letting me
> relive my childhood on a busy friday.
>
> ernie
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

All...

Be advised the last URL has a *lot* of earthy descriptions to it, so don't say I
didn't warn you!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
According to the following page:
http://wood.bigelowsite.com/aracnetlive/wood/SWMBO_Explanation.htm

"I believe that I have the absolute original usage of, "She who must be obeyed".
I say that because the instance I found is roughly 5000 years old, from the "Epic
of Gilgamesh". This is supposedly the oldest story known to exist. Below is a
link to both the page with the usage (top) and the main Gilgamesh Epic page
(bottom). For a 5000 year old story it is a bit pornographic, so be advised if
you read through it. Either way, it seems obvious that men feared the women-folk,
even back then!"

Main page of the "Epic of Gilgamesh":
http://www.greatdreams.com/gil1.htm

Page with the quote, and the quote itself:
http://www.greatdreams.com/gil3.htm
"The bigger part of him was made in heaven
and the smaller part somewhere on earth.
She-who-must-be-obeyed fashioned his body's self.
She endowed him."

Regards,

/Mitch