Subject: Re: [Leica] Long-term value; was Portrait of Marianne = bad mistake
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 06:23:59 EDT

edseas2@shore.net writes:

> for the owners of the vast
>  majority of Japanese equipment, the value of their lenses (and
>  bodies)will be but a small fraction of the sum(s) originally spent.  Looked
>  at in this way, it may indeed be cheaper (read "wiser") to invest in Leica
>  product(s).

e.g. In 1967 I paid $151. for my first (new) DR Summicron. I have just sold a
wonderful DR without the eyes for $475. With eyes, a good DR today is worth
$550.-$750. depending on condition. In 1967 I paid $131. for a new black
paint 35/2 Summicron. Last year I sold a like-new 35/2 8-glass silver chrome
Summicron in original bubble and box for $1,500. In black paint, it would be
worth $2,500.-3,000.

Granted some of this is collector money talking. Granted inflation plays a
very important role here (a pack of cigarettes in 1967 cost what, $0.20? and
in 1970 I paid $8,000. for the top-of-the-line BMW 2800 that I collected at
Munich).

But the point is that Leitz designed and Leica designs cameras and lenses to
perform at world-class-leading cutting edge levels and to a standard of
strength, reliability and longevity that makes them so desirable 40 years
later as users that knowledgeable people are willing to pay what a new one
costs today.

Remarkable.

Seth          LaK 9

Replies: Reply from "Jack Herron" <jherron@theriver.com> (Re: [Leica] Long-term value; was Portrait of Marianne = bad mistake)