Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Expertise Requested
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 08:26:58 +1000

>I started with an new M (was a M6ttl then, but today
>would be an M7), and a 35mm f1.4 and 90mm f2.  I
>ultimately added a lot of other lenses, bodies, etc. I
>probably should have gone with one body with a
>tri-elmar and a 90mm.  Then I could cover 90% of what
>I shoot and it would be light and portable.

I have only shot half a roll with the tri-elmar, but I would be
cautious in putting it up as lens number one for someone entering the
world of M leicas. It is not very "m" like lens in its handling: I
mean, with the extra focal ring, and the "array" of finders, it does
not handle in the typical one focal length way. Shoot the Leica with
fixed focal lengths in the "traditional" way, and then perhaps come
to the TE as a travel lens. I hasten to add that this is "very" much
first impressions, and I may learn quickly to "handle" the TE. I'll
keep you posted. Any other comments?

- --
Alastair Firkin

http://www.afirkin.com