Subject: [Leica] TE for a newbie
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 10:18:43 +1000

>Only that I really disagree.  If I only had one lens
>it would be the tri-elmar.  Being "Leica like" is not
>a factor if you are not already accustomed to using a
>Leica.

My point. If someone is "entering" the world of Leica M, I just
suspect that the TE is not the best "first" lens -- that was my point

>  I'm not sure what you mean by an "array" of
>finders. It simply acts like three different lenses
>instead of a zoom so you see the 28mm lines, 35mm
>lines and 50mm finder lines...I don't think of this as
>being different finders, it just works like having
>three lenses without the hassell of extra weight, or
>of having to change from one to the other.

agree, that's why I bought one, but for a first time user, who goes
to "focus" the lens, and is met by frames changing it may be
"confusing". I think the best thing about the M is the simplicity,
and the TE adds a focal length element, which I would rather not give
to a newbie.

>Where I would add a word of caution is lens speed.
>Having an f4 for me was not a problem.  I usually only
>shoot in daylight and was used to f4 as a pretty
>"normal" speed from using medium format. If you shoot
>in low light, or if you need a fast lens a tri-elmar
>won't work well.

Agree again. It is a bit slow, and that in "general" is not the M
experience. Don't get me wrong, I think the TE will become one of my
favourite lenses for travel especially, but I have found its handling
to be a bit less "friendly" so far -- remember I've shot only 12
images, and am yet to see any results.

- --
Alastair Firkin

http://www.afirkin.com